The Genealogy Institute is  undergoing extensive renovations. Recently the Institute has been moved into a temporary space within the Center that is much smaller than the former space.    While they are definitely still open, bear in mind they have very limited research space during this time. 


 

 

coming to New York

 alt

The Jewish Genealogical Society, Inc. (JGS) was founded in New York in 1977, becoming the first of what are now over 80 such societies worldwide. In the years since its founding, the JGS membership has grown to more than 1,000, with members from both the New York metropolitan area as well as elsewhere in the U.S. and abroad. The JGS presents innovative programming and seminars over the years, including monthly meetings with guest lecturers from a variety of disciplines; field trips to cemeteries, libraries and archives and workshops.

JGS provides access to exclusive databases found no where else on the web.  In addition, members receive special access to databases at Jewishdata.org and discounts at "Friends of Jewish Genealogical Society."

 

Check out our upcoming events!


 

alt JOIN JGS on Facebook!

Read more...
 

NEXT MEETING: April 27, 2014 at 2 PM

Location: Bialystoker Synagogue, 7-11 Willet Street, New York, NY


 

 

On Sunday, April 27th at 2 pm, JGS members and guests will take a field trip to the Lower East Side where we will be treated to a private lecture and tour of the historic Bialystoker Synagogue.  Founded in 1878 and first located on Hester Street, then on Orchard Street,  the congregation moved in 1905 to its current landmark building on Willett Street, recently renamed Bialystoker Place

The synagogue is housed in an 1826 late Federal style building, originally the home of the Willett Street Methodist Episcopal Church.  Among its noteworthy features is a small break in the wall of the women’s gallery that leads to a ladder to an attic; legend has it that the synagogue was a stop on the Underground Railroad and that runaway slaves found sanctuary in this attic.  The synagogue was listed as a New York City landmark in 1966, and is one of only four early-19th century fieldstone religious buildings surviving from the late Federal period in Lower Manhattan.  During the Great Depression, a decision was made to beautify the main sanctuary, to provide a sense of hope and inspiration to the community.  

Our guide for this visit will be the synagogue’s rabbi, Zvi Romm.   Leader of the congregation since 2002, Rabbi Romm has also been President of the United Jewish Council of the East Side since 2007.
Note:  The synagogue is not wheelchair-accessible.

After visiting the synagogue, we will proceed to the neighboring Visitor Center of the Lower East Side Jewish Conservancy (235 East Broadway) where we can view photographs, memorabilia and artifacts of Jewish immigrant life.   Michael Pertain, JGS Executive Council Member and the sponsor of the Visitor Center, will introduce us to the exhibits which illuminate the world of New York’s Jewish immigrants in the early 20th century. 

Synagogue location and travel directions:  7-11 Willett Street/Bialystoker Place, near the intersection of Grand Street and East Broadway in Manhattan.  Take the F train to East Broadway; the B, D or Q trains to Grand Street or the M14A bus (Grand Street route) to Pitt Street.

 

 

Mailing address:

Jewish Genealogical Society, Inc.
PO Box 631
New York, NY 10113-0631

Email:

info@jgsny.org

Phone:

212-294-8318 (Note that the office is not staffed and it may take a while for someone to respond.)

 
powered by MemberClicks